Thursday, February 2, 2012

Football Field Table Runner

Usually, I spend Super Bowl Sunday doing laundry. Hubby usually is busy with National Guard, but this year he's not. I'm not a big sports watcher especially if my team isn't playing, but I wanted to make a little decorations for the big game.

Pinterest and Google didn't provide much in terms of project ideas but I did find a few. I've got a Pinterest board called Super Bowl so go check it out.

I crossed the idea of this Football Field Rug:
Source: Chica and Jo

with the idea of this Table Cloth:
Source: Counting it all Joy

And came up with a table runner.

Football Field Table Runner

I started with about a yard of green felt and a quarter yard of white felt. I cut the green felt to the proper width and a bit longer than the top of our buffet.

I cut strips of white felt approximately 3/4" wide.


Cut Strips of Felt


I measured to the middle of the green felt and marked where the first white strip would go. Then I took the length of the top of my buffet (55") and divided it by 10 to determine how far apart the next strips would go. I then marked the remainder of the locations 5.5" apart.

I used my handy Stitch Witchery to iron on each strip. It made it super simple and fast!


Use Stitch Witchery


I trimmed the little ends of white felt that hung over the green felt.


Trim Edges of Felt

I also had a large roll of heat-n-bond so I cut a larger piece and ironed it to some of the white felt to cut my numbers from. I free-hand-drew the numbers. Unless you're really patient, I wouldn't recommend it. I got extremely frustrated.

Hand Draw Numbers


Finally, about an hour and a half later I have two runners. One is on our buffet in the dining room and the other is on the coffee table in the living room.


Super Bowl Decor

Looks good doesn't it?

Super Bowl Decor

9 comments:

  1. We're big football fans. This looks great - and it doesn't seem like it's too complicated.
    Nice job!
    Now, I'm off to check out the rug and tablecloth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cute! I've been looking for something to do to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike! I posted my "football field" right after you did. Mine is not as nice. I used plastic tablecloth and masking tape! Yours looks great and will last a lot longer. Take care. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a fabulous idea. I'm not having a Super Bowl party this year, but the next time I do I'm going to try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, this is incredible! I love the idea of an entire football field tablecloth. Truly impressive! Enjoy your Super Bowl Sunday. Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really neat! I'm not really into football, but I do watch a little of the big games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your football runner! It would also be cute for a football loving little boy's (or girl's!) birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I never thought of that, Jan. I'll have to remember that.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you!