Saturday, September 24, 2011

Light Fixture Transformation

I'm not sure if you know this, but light fixtures are expensive!!  I was in absolute shock!

My husband and I are trying to rid our house of the Gold EVERYTHING!   They are so hard on my eyes. Now don't get me wrong, I love shiny things but this just hurts my eyes.

Light Fixture Before Painting

We've been scoping out http://www.craigslist.com/ for fixtures for the past few months and... nothing :(  I finally had enough of the gold light fixtures in our bathroom, closet, guest bedroom, and basement entryway.  I read quite a few articles on spraying fixtures and ta-da they look so good!  You can't tell they're spray painted right?  Check out what a difference the paint made! 

Bathroom Light Fixture after Spray Paint

Bedroom Light Fixture After Spray Paint
I know, the glass shades definitely dated them, but at our house we go step-by-step.

We actually did this process many months ago, and I'm just now getting it posted but here's the process:
  1. Caution: Be sure before you begin this project you turn off the electricity to the fixture from your breaker box.  We don't need anyone being sent to the Emergency Room with 'electricution' written on their charts.
  2. Remove the light fixture from the ceiling/wall/ etc.
  3. Disassemble and clean the fixture.  We removed all screws, sockets, and fiberglass insulation and were left with bare metal ceiling plates that didn't need any taping up.  Just remember where everything goes unless you want some extra parts here or there.
  4. We used KRYLON Satin Nickel paint from Wal-Mart (about $2).  Two thin coats of paint later, our light fixtures have completed their makeover.
  5. The only thing left to do is re-assemble, install, and admire!  
P.S. If you have assembly issues or installation issues like we did because we didn't pay attention to which wires we disconnected from which wire, just search the Internet for solutions.  BUT Be very cautious when turning the breaker back on if you're not sure.

Disclaimer: We are in no way professionals.  If you're cautions about installing light fixtures in any way, please be safe and contact a professional to install them.


Remember that day of garage sales during which I found the blanket chest?  (Post found here) I was luck enough to find some beautiful nickel light fixtures with alabaster glass to replace the light in the guest bedroom and entryway.  Now they look even better! See?

New Nickel and Alabaster Entry Way Light Fixture

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you!