Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Susan G. Komen for the Cure - Kansas City


I made a decision last year that I would run a 5k.  Well that didn't happen.  This year I kept looking for the perfect 5k to participate in.  Because of my involvement in Zeta Tau Alpha, I always plan to volunteer to help with Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure wherever I am.  Some years I'm too busy to help or am just out of town.  This year I put it on my calendar early and nothing can replace my plans for this event.  August seems so far away but I am dedicated to make it the whole race without walking.  I haven't run this far since spring 2005.  I know I can do this with the proper training and support.  It's about 30 days away and I've got a long way to go from here.

Susan G Komen for the Cure means a lot to me.  I am a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and our philanthropy is Breast Cancer Awareness and Education.  Our philanthropy has taken over a part of my heart.  After supporting it for 6 years through raising money, saving yogurt lids, and volunteering on the collegiate and Alumnae level I've decided to make it a personal goal of mine to contribute more than I have in the past. 

During 2011, I have gained a better insight into "who" survivors are.  I read the book, Promise Me, written by Susan G. Komen's Sister, Nancy Brinker.  My eyes were opened not only to a portion of what someone goes through during their battle, but also the history of treatment and discovery.  I also volunteered at Susan G. Komen for the Cure Kansas City's Survivor Luncheon in May.  I sat there thankful that I have a helthy family and a heathy body.  Hearing stories of survival and loss brought tears to my eyes.  Realizing how many lives are affected by this disease made me want to do more.  

So on August 14th, I am running to support Susan G. Komen Kansas City Race for the Cure because I want to make a difference in the fight against breast cancer. YOU can make a difference too! Please support me and help me reach my fundraising goal by making a tax-deductible donation today!  


Here's the link to my personal fundraising page. I'm determined to reach my goal this year by raising $300. Any donation will help the Kansas City Susan G. Komen for the Cure provide grants for research, and assistance to those suffering this terrible disease.  Even just $10 can make a difference in someone's life. 


Wish me luck in this journey I'm on....there's a long way to go in finding a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you!